When you intersect hostels and peace, the possibilities for expression explode: sheets, pillows, gardens, tide pools, community service, pancakes, pizza, music, poetry, yoga, flags, mandalas, peace conferences, message signs, dinners, and origami doves, to name a few. And we saw them all incorporated in hostel activities across the country. Program offerings were unique and imaginative, just like the hostels themselves. My thanks to all 55 of our HI USA hostels for their participation!
Every day our hostels engage a diverse community of travelers in conversation and activities. Yet Sleep for Peace is special. It’s all about commemorating the UN International Day of Peace, and asking our hostel guests to tell us what’s on their mind:
- “Peace is allowing differences to exist”
- “Ignore hatred”
- “One step at a time you can meet that person on the street”
- “Hug more”
- “Don’t be a jerk”
- “Because I’m not afraid of dying, I am afraid I have not lived enough”
- “Peace starts with a smile”
- “Travel makes the world a smaller place while enlarging your own world”
- “Spread the word about Peace Day, BELIEVE, and be the drop that brings the glass to overflow”
- “Sharing fun times, music, art, dance, drama, adventure”
“Travel more, be happy”
As you might expect: thoughtful, funny, provocative.
That’s the power of Sleep for Peace.